This week is James’ birthday! We thought we would surprise him with a gluten and dairy-free present! Happy Birthday James!
Flourless Layered Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups almond meal (330g)
- 1 cup cacao
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup organic maple syrup
- 2 tsp baking powder
Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 can coconut cream (kept in fridge overnight)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Optional To Serve: Berries, strawberries, figs & grated chocolate
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line 2x20cm cake tins.
- In a medium bowl add cacao and hot water, stir to melt and allow to cool.
- In another bowl, whisk olive oil, eggs and maple syrup until smooth and fluffy.
- Once cacao has cooled, add this to the mixture, whisk well to combine.
- Gradually add in vanilla, almond meal and baking powder. Mix well.
- Divide mixture between the 2 tins and bake for 30-35 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- To assemble spread whipped coconut cream and sliced strawberries on one layer of cake, place second layer on top and top with extra coconut whipped cream, extra strawberries and blueberries. Before serving shave fresh dark chocolate on top.
TO MAKE WHIPPED COCONUT CREAM
- Prepare the night before by placing the tin of coconut cream in the fridge. It’s important to use organic coconut cream without added fillers. This is so the cream can separate from the liquid.
- When you are ready to serve the cake, remove tin from the fridge and open carefully so you can drain the separated liquid into a jar (save this to use in a smoothie).
- With an electric hand mixer, whisk the cream, maple syrup and vanilla until light and fluffy. This may take up to 3 minutes.