I don’t think that there is someone that actually enjoys doing laundry. Most people just want to do it as quickly as possible. However, not many people are aware of the dangers of the toxins and chemicals in the products available on the market.
Next time you wash your clothes try using white vinegar instead of the usual detergent. You can also add some baking soda during the wash cycle to soften the clothes.
Anne Steinmann, which is one of the researchers in the study, says that she was surprised by the levels of toxins in the laundry detergents:
‘I was surprised by both the number and the potential toxicity of the chemicals that were found. Nearly 100 volatile organic compounds were emitted from these six products, and none were listed on any product label. Plus, five of the six products emitted one or more carcinogenic hazardous air pollutants, which are considered by the Environmental Protection Agency to have no safe exposure level.’
The unexpected high results have made people to look for healthier products for washing clothes, and white vinegar has shown to be the most effective alternative.
White vinegar has no side-effects and is toxin-free, but also has many other cleaning properties that ordinary laundry detergents don’t.
Benefits of white vinegar for laundry cleaning:
- It is perfect for deodorant and sweat stains due to the high acidity, even on a cold wash. Pour a few drops of vinegar on the stains before washing the clothes.
- By using white vinegar, you will get the same results that fabric softeners provide without damaging the environment. Just add ½ cup of vinegar to a regular sized load.
- Commonly washing clothes causes limescale buildup in the washing machine. You can remove it by adding 1 cup of vinegar which has high acidity that works even better than the dangerous toxins.
- Soak your delicate and hand-wash-only clothes for 1 hour in a mixture of 6 tablespoons of white vinegar and cold water. Then, scrub them a little and they will be clean and fresh.
- Commercial detergents cause general fuzz and pet hair to stick on the clothes. You can solve these problems by adding ½ cup of white vinegar in a regular-sized load.
- White vinegar is excellent for eliminating static shock issues.
- Commercial laundry detergents cause skin irritation because of the residue they leave on you clothes. Vinegar can remove this residue completely, and in case you are still using a laundry detergent add ½ cup of white vinegar.
- Even the stubborn stains such as coffee, whine or grease stains can be removed with the help of white vinegar. Apply a mixture of ½ cup of white vinegar and hot water directly on the stain and leave it overnight. Then, wash the clothes as usually.
- Japanese scientists have recently discovered that mixing white vinegar and salt creates a very strong antibacterial solution. Mix 2 teaspoons of salt and ½ cup of white vinegar and add it during the washing cycle to destroy any bacterial residue on the clothes.
- If you are worried about the odors from the clothes you should know that white vinegar can remove even the strongest.