Having trouble dragging yourself out of bed? Try these simple tricks to wake you up in the morning!
Mornings can be rough around here. My three-year-old is going through a phase where he gets into our bed about halfway through the night. I am loving the sweet snuggles, but nothing impacts the quality of sleep like being kicked in the face by a preschooler periodically throughout the night. These snuggly days are numbered, so rather than kick my kid out of my room, I’m using some morning tricks to wake myself up.
If you’re also having trouble getting out of bed in the mornings lately, these energizing tricks can help. You don’t have to do all of these every morning—I certainly don’t. Do what feels like it will help most in the moment.
MORNING TRICKS TO WAKE YOU UP
1. Get one foot onto the floor. This is a trick that I read a long time ago in a magazine, and it totally works. I don’t remember what magazine or who made this recommendation, but this foot-on-the-floor thing has saved me from being late on countless mornings. Try it!
2. Stretch it out. I don’t mean getting up and doing yoga. Just do a big, general stretch, right there in the bed. Getting your muscles moving and your blood flowing helps wake you up. If even getting a foot onto the floor seems impossible, a stretch can help you push yourself out of sleep.
3. Try a gradual alarm clock. A gradual alarm is one that doesn’t just start beeping loudly. It starts of quietly, increasing in volume over a short period of time, and it helps lift you out of sleep. You can find actual alarm clocks that do this or download a gradual alarm clock app.
4. Use a sleep app. This is an alarm clock that chooses the ideal time to wake you up. We sleep in cycles, and the best time to wake up feeling refreshed is when we are in light sleep. Apps like Sleep Cycle track your sleep throughout the night and wake you up when you’re most likely to feel energized.
5. Splash water on your face. A little splash of cold water shocks your system into waking up. If you want to take this even further, you can use ice cold water, a method that supposedly tightens pores and improves the overall look of your skin.
6. Let the sun shine in. Light tells your brain to wake up, so throw open those blinds, and let sunlight do its thing.
7. Set up the coffee the night before. Food and drink bribes work on my preschooler, and it turns out they work on my sleepy self, too. Knowing that coffee is just a button-push away helps me drag myself out of bed, especially on mornings that I need to be up extra early. I know: pre-grinding the coffee and leaving it in the basket overnight makes it go a little bit stale. Late-morning me knows that, but 5am me does not care.
8. Pull the covers off. It’s hard to climb out of bed when you’re warm and cozy under the comforter. Like splashing water on your face, pulling off the covers shocks your body into waking up a little bit. Now, get those feet onto the floor and start your day!